|Sweet Potato Pizza|
I have been experimenting with pizzas for the past few months, and the Sweet Potato Pie at Pepperwood Grille inspired me to make my own version of this interesting pizza. I made a few modifications, using feta cheese instead of goat cheese, and substituting sundried tomatoes for roasted red peppers. These flavors worked great together and the end result was awesome!
1 14-inch pizza crust (recipe for a homemade version here)
2 sweet potatoes
1/2 onion, sliced
2 oz sundried tomatoes, sliced
2-3 oz feta cheese, crumbled
a handful of arugula or spinach
3 tbsp olive oil
a pinch of salt and pepper
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp maple syrup
1-1/2 tbsp dark brown sugar
2 tbsp milk or light cream
cinnamon, to taste
- Preheat oven to 475ºF.
- Peel and cube sweet potatoes and cook in boiling water for 20-30 minutes, until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat, then add onions. Stir constantly, until onion is caramelized, about 10-15 minutes. If onions stick to the skillet, add a splash of liquid to deglaze.
- Drain sweet potatoes. Using an electric mixer, mash sweet potatoes with salt, pepper, butter, maple syrup, brown sugar, milk, and cinnamon.
- Spread mashed sweet potatoes evenly on pizza crust, then top with caramelized onions, sundried tomatoes, and feta cheese. Bake in oven for 15 minutes.
- Top with arugula and serve.