|Cinnamon Apple, Chicken, and Pumpkin Butter Taco|
A couple months ago we went to Ohio to visit family. Our first stop was to spend an afternoon with Uncle Gary, who suggested preparing lunch together. Since we were due to arrive right around noon, however, I needed to come up with an idea for a super quick meal.
My thoughts turned to mobile food vendors, since that is exactly what they do: preparing super quick meals. I immediately thought of Pgh Taco Truck, with its delicious and often unique flavors, and was inspired to create an easy but interesting and tasty taco. Something I can prep the night before and just throw in a skillet the next day.
One of my favorite tacos from Pgh Taco Truck is an ostrich taco served with pumpkin butter, while R.'s favorite is wild boar...with pumpkin butter. So there was no question that pumpkin butter was going to be a must. From there, I chose chicken for the protein, which I would chop and marinate overnight and cook just before serving. I felt I needed one more main ingredient to go with the chicken, and since I was in the realm of fall flavors (don't judge - fall flavors are good any time of year!), I thought apples cooked in cinnamon butter would work well. Place everything in taco tortillas and topped with some sliced green onions, and...voilà! I've got my perfectly easy but tasty taco!
It was a big hit, if I may say so myself!
Cinnamon Apple, Chicken, and Pumpkin Butter Taco
- chicken breast, 1 lb
- apples, 2 medium
- butter, 2 tbsp
- cinnamon, ground, 1/4 tsp
- green onion, 2
- pumpkin butter, for garnish (we got ours from Loafers)
- soft corn taco tortillas, 2 per taco (get 'em from Reyna's!)
- salt and pepper to taste
- soy sauce, 1/2 cup
- red wine, 1/4 cup
- cinnamon, ground, 1.5 tsp
- garlic, 1 clove chopped
- sugar, 2 tbsp
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces.
- Combine marinade ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Place marinade and chicken in plastic bag or a bowl and marinade in refrigerator overnight.
- Peel and chop apples into small pieces.
- Slice green onions.
- In a skillet under medium high heat, heat butter and 1/4 tsp cinnamon until fragrant.
- Add apples, and cook for a few minutes until the cinnamon butter is absorbed. Remove from skillet.
- Season marinated chicken with salt and pepper and cook in skillet under medium high heat until cooked through.
- Double up tortillas and toast on a dry flat pan. Top with chicken, apples, pumpkin butter, and green onions.